The person hired on this position will evenly share her/his working time on two main activities:
- basic research, aiming at publishing in highly rated journals and international conferences; and
- applied research, by taking responsibility of cutting-edge projects in tight collaboration with companies.
A cross-activity will be the search for funding opportunies of both basic and applied research.
- This position is for a junior researcher (say <= 35 years).
- Doctorate degree and master degree with top grades in mathematics, or physics, or engineering, or informatics, or statistics or other quantitative areas.
- Excellent theoretical as well as applied knowledge of Bayesian networks and other graphical models (in particular of structure/parameter learning) and modern data mining algorithms (in particular for classification and clustering, but regression and time series are also desirable). These skills have to be backed up by a good record track of technical papers.
- Excellent mathematical skills.
- Excellent (software-engineer-level) programming skills (C, C++, Java), knowledge of operating systems (Unix, Linux, Mac, Windows) and development tools (e.g., Eclipse).
- Good knowledge of specialized mathematical/statistical environments, such as MATLAB and R.
- Good knowledge of computational complexity theory.
- Very good communication skills in spoken and written English.
- Good knowledge of Italian or alternatively a commitment to learn it as soon as possible.
- Ability to work in a team and in a collaborative environment.
Highly desirable but not strictly required
- Knowledge of imprecise probability (e.g., credal networks, credal classification, uncertainty modeling with sets of distributions).
- Good knowledge of (Bayesian) statistics.
- Good record track of granted research projects as main applicant or co-applicant.
- Past experience of leading/working in applied research projects in collaboration with companies.
- Good knowledge of German and French.
- A first two-year contract that constitutes an evaluation period (the evaluation period can possibly be extended). The positive feedback of performance appraisal leads to a permanent position.
- A competitive swiss salary commensurate to the candidate’s age and experience.
- Travel funding to participate to conferences, workshops and the like.
- An international working environment.
- Collaboration with experts in data mining, Bayesian networks, imprecise probability, statistics: the hired candidate will join in particular the imprecise probability group at IDSIA (http://ipg.idsia.ch).
- Opportunity to develop professional and scientific skills as well as career progression.
For more information and details about the application procedure, please contact Marco Zaffalon (firstname.lastname@example.org).